Saturday, October 6, 2012

Moving Insanity

You know what's crazy?  Selling your house when you have a 20 month old (and two dogs).  Seriously, it's bananas. B.A.N.A.N.A.S! Ever tried to stage a house with a 20 month old running around? Let me tell ya folks, you better start early because it will take you about 2 months!  And we haven't even started showings yet.  I'm already dreading that 30 minute notice and trying to pull things together and get out the door with Jackson and the pups in hand.  I can see why a girl online who had done this called the drawer/basket she would throw everything in just before a showing a "Holy Sh*t" drawer. I also read a hilarious blog with tips to sell a house with toddlers, check it out here - http://www.taminginsanity.com/2012/01/tips-to-sell-a-house-while-living-with-a-toddler/)

This is an old pic of me in a different house,
but it seems oddly similar
to what I look like on a regular basis right now!
Anyway, I am trying to get organized, making lists of things to do each evening and each morning to keep the house at tip top shape before leaving, but I already know it's going to be stressful. One thing I've realized is that it's sometimes worth it to pay someone to do the work.  With David working a lot and me running after Jackson every waking moment, I've had to admit to myself that I can't be super-mom.  So I'm hiring a maid service to come weekly or biweekly while the house is on the market.  I'm hiring some guys to do the painting of the front and back patios that I was planning to do myself but can't seem to find the time.  Seriously, shop around for a good price and you'll probably find one that it worth every penny for your time!

Besides getting things clean, you also have to think about some changes in your typical activities.  For example, I've already told the hubby that we have to shower in the evenings instead of the mornings so we don't have to clean bathrooms; I've told him he can't trim his beard in the bathroom anymore - go to a barber.  I even though about a rule that we can't go #2 in the house anymore unless it's at night, but that sounded a bit harsh. HA HA.  Candles cover up a multitude of sins after all.

That aside, let me tell you what IS cool about staging your house.  We've put probably 1/2 of our things or more into storage and it kinda hits you like a ton of bricks that you really never needed that stuff anyway.  Living simply in a home with just the "basic necessities" has been a stress reducer, which I guess balances things out. It also made me think about how I need to get better about giving things up & letting them go.  I mean, I've always been really good at helping other people declutter (I always thought I'd be great on the show "Clean House.")   But I realize I hang on to stuff sometimes too long.

Finally, I've realized one bitter-sweet thing that often happens when your listing your house - when you get it in the best shape it's ever been, you start to want to stay there!

But then you realize that no one really lives like this...this is all a super-clean and organized facade and it won't last.  In fact this facade costs an extra $200 plus a month in storage fees.  Oh well, real life is messy and baseboard aren't ever clean, but it's real!





1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Made me laugh :) I'm glad you are enjoying your facade despite the stress. I sure am jealous of you having a cleaner!!

    ReplyDelete