Friday, October 22, 2010

Mom Jeans, but Mom Genes?

It's been a long time since my last post...primarily because pregnancy really occupies your time, just in case you didn't already know. I am starting my third trimester and I think the idea that I am going to be a mom is JUST NOW starting to hit me. Maybe it's because I'm showing quite a bit, or perhaps because I feel little Jackson moving a lot (by the way, that's him in the picture at about 23 weeks). But before now, I don't think I have grasped the reality of the changes that are coming less than 3 short months from now. I have been feeling much better in the past several months, finally getting a reprieve from the constant and intense nausea that caused me to lose 10lbs in the first trimester. (Rest assured, I've gained that back and then some). Maybe this reprieve has allowed my mind to focus less on the porcelain (or plastic) receptacles and more on the fact that David's and my life is going to change forever very soon.

I am fully into my maternity clothes now, and cycle through my maternity jeans each week. The other day when I was putting them on I had this thought...I have these "mom jeans" but do I have the "mom gene"? I'm sure that's a thought most first time moms have...so many questions about whether you are going to be good at this, are you really cut out for it, etc. I've always had an independent streak and was never one of those girls who had dreams of motherhood dancing through her head (though I guess I always assumed it would happen down the road). Now that it's here, I'm both excited and nervous for this new journey. But I know this much...I have two wonderful partners - the two loves of my life, my wonderful husband David and my Father in Heaven. So, even amidst the questions, I have this sense of wonderful expectation and peace. After all, God knit me together (genes and all) and then gifted me with this child that He's knitting together in my womb as well. And God doesn't make mistakes...so, I suppose I have the "mom gene" after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment